About the Festival
The Melba is seeking applications from independent artists and small to medium companies who would like to be a part of the third festival of innovative and experimental Circus work at The Melba Spiegeltent, Sidesault at the Melba 7-17 November 2019.
We are looking for the next round of cutting edge new circus works or adaptations of existing works that explore the possibilities of circus as an art form and engage with contemporary cultural trends; works that spark conversation and debate, as well as celebrate the positives, imagine the possibilities and break some rules!
We are thrilled that Sidesault at The Melba has been nominated for a Green Room Award for Innovation in Curatorial Contribution & Programing in the Contemporary and Experimental Performance category.
Previous participants have gone on to tour nationally and internationally and win many awards after their premiere as part of Sidesault at The Melba.
The Melba Spiegeltent, based in the heart of Collingwood, is a venue that is committed to supporting local artists. We are gaining a reputation as a venue that showcases independent work that explores different, and sometimes challenging, themes in a safe and accessible space.
We are keen to encourage a wide range of contemporary circus works that reflect our values of community, diversity, humanity and hilarity. Preference will be given to work that has not had a ticketed season in Melbourne. We encourage all kinds of cross genre work as well as family friendly and all ages performances that are pushing the boundaries of contemporary circus.
Sidesault at The Melba support includes:
- The Melba Spiegeltent with up to 230 seat capacity venue with lighting and sound equipment as outlined in the Melba technical specifications.
- An Artist Fee towards presenting the production (ranging from $1000 to $3500 per company/show for the season, according to the scale of the production)
- Venue manager at all performances. The venue manager will be responsible for the running of the venue and front of house.
- One technician for one 4-hour combined bump in and technical rehearsal and for all shows. The technician will be also operate sound and lighting for each performance.
- Rehearsal and creation space within the Circus Oz home base in Collingwood.
- Consultation with the Melba Spiegeltent Producer and Circus Oz Senior Artistic Associate on the development of the work and future planning and touring opportunities.
Marketing support at a minimum as follows:
- Publicity for individual shows as well as inclusion in all publicity about the Festival
- Circus Oz would manage ticketing and take 100% of box office. When a total of 100 tickets are sold per performance a door split will be negotiated;
- Display space for flyers and posters at Circus Oz in Collingwood;
- Listing on the Melba Spiegeltent website with link to online booking;
- Promotion in our regular EDM to the Circus Oz and Melba databases about Sidesault at The Melba season;
- Creation of individual show posters and Sidesault at The Melba flyers;
- Social media presence: Circus Oz will promote shows at The Melba Spiegeltent through
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/melbaspiegeltent
- Twitter: @theMelbaspiegel
- Instagram: @themelbaspiegeltent
NOTE: Artists will have a mutual obligation to publicise via their networks and encourage sales.
Applications Close: 26 APRIL 2019
Offers: MAY 2019
Program Announced: JUNE 2019
2019 Sidesault at The Melba Festival: 7 – 17 NOVEMBER 2019
Scheduling of Presentations:
The program will run over two weeks Wednesday – Saturday, with each show performing 4 times. We will program up to 3 shows per night.
Please see have a look at Melba Spiegeltent technical specifications which can be found HERE. Any anticipated extra requirements to these must be detailed on your application.
How to Apply:
Please complete all sections of the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM HERE
Applications close 12:00pm Friday 26 APRIL 2019.
*Please include your name and show name in the subject and label all attachments with the same name.
Any issues or problems with the online application form please contact: email@example.com
Talk About Your Work:
If you would like to discuss the development of a yet to be realised work or your ideas and the suitability of there inclusion in Sidesault at The Melba we would love to talk to you.
Please contact either Antonella or Brian. We will happily meet with you face to face or over the phone.
Brian Robertson, Melba Speigeltent Producer 03 9676 0337 firstname.lastname@example.org
Antonella Casella, Senior Artisitc Associate 03 9676 0900 email@example.com
Sidesault at The Melba is proudly supported by City of Yarra
Casting Off, A Good Catch
Nonstop, Space in Time Circus
Party Ghost, Poached Eggs & Asparagus
Unsuitable, Tumble Circus
Relax: Everything’s F*cked, The Syndicate Sideshow
My Sight, Their Sight, Blindful
Laser Kiwi, Colossal Productions
Boss Squad, Madhouse Circus and Point & Flex Circus
Jugg Life, Jugg Life Productions
Hell Is Other People, Love is the Drug
Feed the Horse, Radish By Night